Friday 15 February 2013

First things first...

Hmm so here it is, my very first post on my very first blog. It is a bit like having an empty piece of paper in front of me and not knowing what to draw. Shall I start with the story of my feltmaking before I start on some other random rant? OK here goes: I did my first bit fo feltmaking a few years ago at the wonderful Spinning Weal in Clevedon and was to be honest not that inspired. The breakthrough came last year when I bought a new sewing machine; I wondered what it would be like to machine-stitch over my felted pictures (which were a bit fuzzy and needed a bit of stitch-led definition). I thought it worked and so did a lot of friends and family. After a lot of positive feedback and a summer to think about it, I thought it might be good to try selling it - not necessarily for the money but just to see if I could, to get a buzz from the feeling that somebody out there liked it enough to pay good money for it. Well that hasn't happened yet but I am trying to remain quietly positive. It has taken a few months to get a "portfolio" together of some of my favourite types of pictures and of some new ideas, in the hope that I have something that might appeal to anyone, and in the process getting some more experience with some different techniques. Below are a few...

This was inspired by some flowers I photographed all on the same day last September.
Sea pictures are my very favourites; I could do these all day every day and I love the way the felting process makes everything move around in an unpredictable sea-like way.

 
I did one after being really inspired by Moy Mackay's art:-
 
 
 
Then on a bit of a floral theme I went for some nasturtiums. Just should have used some brighter colours I think...

 
I am really lucky to have a brother with an amazing framing workshop and gallery (Artfellows in Fakenham, Norfolk) and he has three of these waiting for a prospective owner but no takers as yet. I would like to think I am not barking up the wrong tree as it's taken me ages to find a medium I felt happy with and I'm sure this is it. I have more to show you but this will do for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment